32-year-old woman raped at Pioneer Road by 2 men

Mar 10, 2022 | 🚀 Fathership
A 32-year-old woman was found injured but conscious along Pioneer Road by Police at about 7.25am on Tuesday (8 Feb).

When the police arrived at the scene, the woman was found to have suffered multiple injuries on her head and body. She was conscious when taken to the hospital.

Upon medical examination, her injuries suggested that she may have been sexually assaulted, said the police.

Two men identified within 12 hours

Two men, aged 30 and 36, will be charged in court for their suspected involvement in a case of rape, said the police on Thursday (Mar 10).

"Officers from the Criminal Investigation Department, Police Intelligence Department, Public Transport Security Command and Jurong Police Division immediately commenced investigations into a suspected case of rape," they added.

Through extensive ground enquiries and with the aid of police cameras and close-circuit television, the police said the two men were identified and arrested on the same day within "12 hours of the report being lodged".

Victim did not know the two men

Preliminary investigations revealed that both men were not known to the woman and they had allegedly brought the victim to Pioneer Road and assaulted her.

Police investigations are ongoing.

Both men will be charged in court later on Thursday with an offence of rape, said the police.

"The offence carries an imprisonment term of up to 20 years and a fine or caning.

"The police take all reports of sexual assault seriously and will spare no effort to bring the perpetrators to justice," they added.

The police also advised members of the public to report cases of sexual assault to the police so that offenders can be dealt "firmly and in accordance with the law" to prevent them from causing further harm to other people.




➡️ Follow Fathership on Twitter
➡️ Get updates on Telegram

This commentator thinks MCI ad should not have featured poor Malays

May 12, 2022 | 🚀 Fathership
A Hari Raya advertisement by the Ministry of Communications and Information (MCI) was 'cancelled' by certain netizens online for depicting lower income Malays according to reality.

"Message for Syawal", a two-and-a-half-minute video published last month (Apr 30) captures moments in the life of a low-income Malay family living in a rental flat.

Storyline


Pictured: Screenshot from MCI video "Message for Syawal"

The video, which is peppered with Malay proverbs, shows the family moving out of their rental flat to a new home several years later where they celebrate Hari Raya.

The father of the family works as a mover while the mother is a housewife.

Their young son, Syawal, skips school to earn extra income for his family before a teacher flags his absence from school to his parents.

The mother in the video later decides to return to work to alleviate her family’s financial difficulties while the father gets a new job.


Pictured: Screenshot from MCI video "Message for Syawal"



Why some netizens are outraged

The video sparked backlash online, with some viewers saying that it contained stereotypes about the Malay community.

The stereotypes:
  • The father works as a mover - commonly perceived to be a low-income job
  • The mother is jobless
  • The son plays truant
  • The family lives in a rental flat for low-income earners

Commentator implied that poor Malays shouldn't be portrayed in public to prevent stereotypes


Pictured: Screenshot from Homeground Asia video

A video commentary by The Homeground Asia went further by criticizing how the video propagates the narrative that Malays are poor and lazy, and that the ministry should have created a video that is more relatable to both the less fortunate and the more affluent Malays.

Adi Rahman, one of the interviewees in the video went further by making sweeping assumptions that the ministry lacked cultural intelligence and did not consult the community on the narrative.

Ironically, in talking about inclusivity, Adi implied that the realities of poor Malays should not be shown in public.

For example, his rationale suggested that the video contained characters (the mover, jobless mother and the son who skips school) that contribute to the problem of other races seeing the Malays in a stereotypical and reductive light.

In other words, show the good stuff but not the reality.

Adi even accused the ministry for not consulting the Malays in the vetting of the video narrative.

His accusations were without merit, however, when the Ministry said in a statement (Apr 30) that Malay-Muslim viewers - presumably a focus group - had seen the video prior to its release, and perceived the story to be heart-warming, although some expressed reservations.


Pictured: Adi Rahman - one of the commentators in Homeground Asia video



Stereotyping or masking reality?

The ministry said last month (Apr 30) the video was meant to show "a family’s journey of resilience in facing challenging circumstances and how mutual support and encouragement could nurture the process”.

Other netizens felt it was an overreaction and that low-income families shouldn't be dehumanized in a way that they are removed from the conversation. They felt that the video was a call-to-action for those from the underprivileged to strive for a better life through hard work and seeking help that's already available.

The only missed opportunity in the MCI video was perhaps the suggestion that Malays in low income families living in a rental flat could not celebrate Hari Raya unless they get a flat on their own.

But of course, like Homeground Asia, that is also a sweeping assumption.