Josephine Teo & Pritam Singh debate over new S'pore citizens' selection process & criteriaFeb 28, 2023 | 🚀 Fathership AI
Second Minister for Home Affairs (MHA) Josephine Teo and Leader of the Opposition, Pritam Singh, debated the criteria for selecting new citizens for Singapore.
- Singh posed questions regarding new citizen selection during MHA's Committee of Supply debate.
- Singh cited historically low fertility rates, making new citizens "a critical pillar in the shape of any future Singapore."
- Singh urged for the selection of citizens with a long-term commitment to Singapore and those who are successfully integrated into Singaporean society.
- Switzerland was cited as an example of a country with a highly specific selection process for new citizens.
- Teo said naturalisation tests or interviews are not used and that sharing detailed criteria can be abused to inflate an undeserving applicant's chances of success.
- Singh asked for more information on the criteria for selection and suggested an English proficiency test to improve integration.
- Teo pointed out that most applicants for PR status or citizenship would have been in Singapore for years, making an English proficiency test irrelevant.
- Teo said Singapore considers various markers of social integration and requires applicants to complete the Singapore Citizenship Journey before being granted citizenship.
- Teo explained that revealing country-specific information could be misinterpreted and misused by others to stir up bilateral and domestic sensitivities.